Sunday 5 March 2017

TOK DOI ..... MIXED FRUIT & NUT YOGURT DRINK ..... CHAAT WALI DAHI


It is a Sunday afternoon and you are writing a recipe? You have every right to ask me dear readers but I have ample reasons to do so .... after a sweating session, then to a dear couple's home to deliver some food and back, feeding my hungry chopsticks and ladoo Gopal [Lord Krishna], I wished to get little cosy and romantic with the senior of the two atheists at home. Charged up by the downpour, I sing a romantic number ...... "o maine dil diya dil diya ghabrake, o sathiya".... the answer is an obvious "get lost" and not "o hansini mere hansini." I cannot file for a divorce either, it is / was / will be him who nursed his almost dead wife at the mid sea of Phuket or at the Great Barrier Reef, gently caressing her hair, cleaning her sacrificing all the fun of snorkelling, diving or otherwise.

Why going this yogurt-y S? Why not people? The week for  Holi .... Dol Purnima..... Women's Day is approaching..... I wished to go cool and sweet this week. I find Doi / Dahi / Yogurt a binding force where food is concerned given I have many friends from different regions or culture per say. Then there is someone special who uses a lot of yogurt in cooking.... who I love much but cannot or do not wish to go public with the name. People, do not look for any romantic story material please.... I am not talking of any "HE" here ..... it is this person for whom I do own a food blog today, how much of little or of no fame it is; it's mine and I should not bother until I be the reason to defame it. Just wished to say all the wars that happen is a diplomatic, political strategy of a few using religion as a weapon ..... wherein the commoners of both sides die. I am a religious person and there is no harm in practicing one's own .... wrong is when we hurt the sentiments of others with an overdose of it. 

I am supercharged up to see the news of Ustad Ghulam Ali coming to the island next month and I am going definitely... been a diehard fan of the maestro since my teen .... those who will not go may be they do not like ghazals ...... it is as simple as that. I am preparing myself from now ..... "hungama hai kyun barpa, thori si jo pee li hai.... daka to nehi dala.... chori to nehi ki hai." I just wished to say that someone special, dear my blog is a gift to me from you and then it grew with so much of contribution from the other blogger friends, friends, well wishers. There is also a Punjaban tigress sister.... of whose blog I will speak later who will be happy to see this post very much, she needs to be kept happy today. To you and all, please do not take my posts seriously, they are impromptu and not well thought as of you all; given my questionable amount of grey matter.... I listen to my heart only.

Just when I am all set to write the recipes ..... a teen comes to me .... says he hates me. I pamper the self and ask it not to change for anyone, just to live life and stay fit not to please anyone but the self.... I need to do a lot because the old man Dr. Chang refuses to increase my dosage, he asked me to work harder. I ask the teen to leave. Some other day,  the teen comes again and says I am  a disgusting melancholic soul.... Yes, I am! The teen further says I am too short... yes I am... 4'11" to be precise... and then that I am all grey! I say yes, since my teen.... the  person now takes a dig at my flat nose... heavy glasses.... I agree I too have complex about my flat nose, I am almost blind since the time we met.... but how is it bothering you? I asked! I am or was never your mirror..... we are not in each other's way, unlikely to meet or cross ever... you know well I am hyper sensitive and self-respecting. Do not point your finger at me unless I knock at your door for refuge which is unlikely. Rather be a true heart Indian and travel its lanes and by lanes full of history with your family. Hey someone.... our roads had always been different. I am unable to do much of research on you. I do not understand whether to get angry or surprised at you; you abused me but still expect me to facilitate your friendship with your famous friend / friends in public! How strange & what a height of expectation!

Gazing at the empty road quite for sometime, I feel free to write three of my recipes with yogurt for you all to enjoy this Holi / Dol Purnima / International Women's Day. They are a homemade plain yogurt, a mixed-fruit & nut yogurt drink which used to be favourite with my senior and my all time favourite yogurt eaten as a chaat. The fruits I used here are apple & banana. Yes, as of now the son enjoys smoothies! Come let us do all of them together.

                                                TOK DOI


INGREDIENTS : [for the plain yogurt]

Full Cream Milk : 1litre
Fresh Set Yogurt [plain] : 1/4 small cup


METHOD :


Take the milk in a heavy bottomed container and bring to boil, let it boil for 8-10 minutes! Let it cool until gets to be lukewarm! Pour onto a bowl!

Beat that 1/4 small cup of set yogurt and pour in to the milk. Gently stir for a while. Cover with lid or a plate. 


Once you put on the lid, keep it in a warm place & cover with a bigger vessel first and then with a piece of cloth. A heavy towel works good!

Keep it like that for 8-10 hours. Take out & refrigerate to chill! Have it the way you and your family prefer.




 MIXED FRUIT & NUT YOGURT DRINK



INGREDIENTS : [for the mixed fruit & nut yogurt drink]

Plain Yogurt : 1 big cup
Banana : 1
Chopped Apple : 1
Pistachio : 3-4 [chopped] 
Almond : 3-4 [chopped]
Cashew nut : 7-8[chopped]
Dates : 4-5 [deseeded]
Raisin : 1 tsp

METHOD :


Take the halved banana, washed & chopped apple, the washed dry fruits & the yogurt in a blender & blend to get a smoothie! It's that simple & great to taste, filling to!

Pour into glasses and refrigerate. Serve chilled garnished with saffron[I did not use]!



CHAAT WALI DAHI



INGREDIENTS : [for the chaat wali dahi]

Plain Yogurt : 1 big cup
Mumbai Sev : 1 tbsp to garnish [fried lentil noodles that I forgot to add]
Date-Tamarind Chutney : 1-2 tbsp [I used chilli-tomato sauce]
Green Coriander Chutney : 1-2 tbsp
Chaat Masala : 1tsp
Black Salt : 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/4 tsp
Ginger Juice : 1 tsp
Fresh Coriander : 2tbsp [chopped]

METHOD : 


Take the yogurt, ginger juice, red chilli powder and black salt in a bowl and beat thoroughly. 

Add the chopped & washed green chillies, mix well & refrigerate to chill!

Take out, top with the Mumbai Sev if using, chaat masala and the chopped fresh coriander! Always serve & have it chilled.


Prepare your own yogurt and enjoy these two dishes made with it and many others whenever you wish to.




2 comments :

  1. I love anything with yogurt. Showcased splendidly in these recipes.

    ReplyDelete