Monday 27 March 2017

MASALA GRILLED CHICKEN


The fat old lady went for another half marathon yesterday, was among the last to finish, yet felt happy that she did not quit. It was proved again that nothing comes in a platter, we need hard work for that. I did not practice at all for the last two months, thought I will manage to keep my last time record intact and can finish somewhere between 3:30 hours to 3:40 hours. Then many a factor came in between.... not much of practice which is a must, it was an extreme humid early morning yesterday which was getting me slower, finally, it was a night run, my first night run and I was / am not a late night person. 

Early mornings work wonder for me, always. Yesterday, at certain points I felt like quitting, specially when I was passing through the metro stations or taxi stands. When I completed 10km, I could see people already at the finishing line, yes our trail was kind of spiral may be. At that point, I was almost into tears, then there were those nice co-runners, who asked me to gear up with cheer. I made up my mind I should complete and spread the message, do not quit, whether you are a runner, soldier, writer, poet, singer... keep going, no amount of threats should stop you from doing what you believe in. The murder of Safdar Hashmi did not stop his wife and believers to carry forward his legacy till date. However, people laugh at Ramdev Baba [Indian Yoga Guru], his "pranayam" did help me at some point in life. Just opposite my Kolkata home, there is a retail outlet of his products, our mom buys those medicines, that I ask not to!

On a lighter note, how much you make fun of this Alia Bhatt [Indian Actress], I like her.... a more or less natural actress, that no make up look, so bubbly and that morning glory like smile. I am totally opposite of that, giggles do not come naturally to me. Many years back, I was told I am too melancholic a character to get along, even my extreme likings for Shabana Azmi was not taken kindly. I could not take any criticism against her, specially when my mind was engrossed in that particular scene from Mrinal Sen's Khandahar [The Ruins], .... Shabana standing alone amidst the ruins of her dilapidated house, realising Naseeruddin Shah would never come back to take her with him, the photographer visited only to explore the place, it's ruins to take some wonderful shots and go back. I have watched the movie a number of times and felt.... I will always be me, love myself the way I am and always believed, the roads that are not meant to meet will never meet, not at any point in life. I am quiet, prefer to remain that does not mean that I do not like chirpy, smiling faces. I find them too adorable and say...... whatever you are, be it. My message to those who spread the virus of happiness..... "Beautiful Faces.... Keep Smiling."...... thats a good match. Monalisa is always a preferred choice and off course a need of the hour in a world in turmoil.

The day.... and the night before my half marathon, I was doing a lot of cooking when I was supposed to take ample rest. You know why? I was enjoying my senior scolding.... come out of the kitchen, take rest S, you need. Not always he is particular about praising his wife. During our courtship days, once he came back from sailing after a long 6-8 months, I wished to meet him often.... he always would say we do not need to... we are there for each other..... and this drama queen had to burst into tears and say... you do not love me enough.... the firmer him would say we do not need to show it off.

I talk about anything but cooking na? Let us do that. My inbox has such comments that I am sharing a bit more non-vegetarian dishes these days. Well, today too I wish to go ahead with a non-vegetarian appetiser, may be a vegetarian dish can come on my next post. This is a simple recipe of chicken breasts marinated in regular Indian spices and grilled to perfection. 


I am not that fond of chicken, it's my men's favourite; specially the son's. I have chicken if it is an Oriental preparation or  in kebabs. I am a spice loving typical Bengali / Indian / South Asian who lives in a health freak island. That is when the inspired self took to running / walking where people start outdoor exercise as early as 3 am. Hence, this Masala Grilled Chicken can be a good balance of my love for spice keeping the health factor in tact. This yummy starter was on my mind for quite sometime, also few posts around are an inspiration. Let us do it together absolutely hassle free while watching a television show or reading a favourite thriller.


INGREDIENTS :

Boneless Chicken Breast : 5-6
Lemon Juice : 2 tbsp
Garam Masala : 2tbsp [I used Southern Indian Kulambu spice mix]
Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
Cumin Powder : 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2 tsp
Black Pepper : 1/2 tsp [preferably freshly crushed]
Chaat Masala : 1/2 tsp
Salt : As Required
Oil : 2-3 tbsp

METHOD :

Wash the chicken pieces thoroughly under running water. Pat dry and prick all over with a fork. Marinate with salt and wash off after half an hour.

Now marinate with the spice powders, lemon juice, salt and oil. Rub and mix thoroughly. Keep marinated for an hour or two in a covered container.

I kept the high wired stand inside our convection mode microwave oven, on top I placed the microwave proof plate full of the marinated chicken! 

I have grilled one side for 15-16 minutes, flipped over & grilled the other side for 7-8 minutes!

We should be done! Have them fresh & hot!




4 comments :

  1. Oh yum. Chicken turned out great. I'll make it when other half-half travel, and the dip, another that is really tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a positive thing you have finished the race...its a great achievement I believe ...this chicken looks yummy and the process is simple

    ReplyDelete