Tuesday 9 August 2016

CHANA DAL VADA / CHOLAR DALER BORA / LENTIL FRITTERS



Any kind of fries / fritters / pakoras are a favourite at  this home as an evening snacks or with lentil stew and rice. Both ways it rocks. If I prepare pakoras everyday, they will have it everyday, specially the junior. Considering the health factor, I prepare them at a gap of say 10-15 days. Pakoras or fries at home are a must when guests visit. I love treating my guests with nice platters of starters..... both vegetarian and non-vegetarian. We love getting cosy with our guests over wine and food. 

Last week, we had some guests for whom I made Sami kebabs, which I blogged about earlier, I saw my senior having quite a couple of them which is unlikely of him. He even skipped his dinner. I got the message, I will do it more often. If I serve him a lentil Sami kebab, he gets upset; this is not the case if I serve him veg pakoras!

These Chana Dal Vada / Cholar Daler Bora were prepared a couple of days back for a visiting friend. I remember mom used to prepare vada or pakora with dal / lentil varieties. Later, I watched my husband's big aunt making pakoras / vada which are yummilicious to the extreme and with a variety of simple ingredients. Me too love doing the same. I added some shredded coconut to the dal mix, I always feel chana dal / Bengal Gram and coconut makes a good combination. Let us prepare these Chana Dal Vada / Cholar Daler Bora together.




INGREDIENTS :

CHANA DAL [BENGAL GRAM LENTIL] : 100 gm
SHREDDED COCONUT : 50gm
RICE FLOUR : 2 tbsp
GREEN CHILLI : 2-3[chopped]
DRY RED CHILLI : 2
TURMERIC POWDER : 1 tsp
SALT : As Required
SUGAR : 1 tsp
OIL : 150ml-200 ml [for frying]

METHOD :

Wash and soak the chana dal / Bengal Gram Dal 2-3 times and soak in hot water for 2 hours. Drain the water and prepare a bit coarse paste along with the dried red chillies using the mixer-grinder. Add little water in between, if required. Transfer to a bowl.



Wash and chop the green chillies, add to the dal paste. Add the shredded coconut, rice flour, salt, sugar, turmeric powder. Mix all the ingredients very well.




Heat the oil in a wok. The oil should neither be too hot or too less. We want crispy vada / pakora, well cooked without burning.

Take out smaller portions  from the paste and drop into the oil carefully. Turn over after 2-3 minutes. Repeat 3-4 times till the outside is brown. Keep adjusting the heat from time to time.

Once done, transfer into tissue paper before serving.





Serve the finger food with your choice of chutney or sauce, else enjoy with rice & lentils!








13 comments :

  1. healthy and flavorful recipe... nice clicks:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ki Jani keno aajkal khub jhal khetey bhalo lagchey. Tomar banano Bora gulo dekhey tai Amar jibhey jol. Ekto khub e darun dekhtey hoeychey tarpor kacha lonka AAR dhoney patar subash er kotha bebhe ki je khidey pachchey go. I want to devour that entire plate with extra green chillies as side to bite along with the Bora. Amar na ajkey uposh. Eto lobh lagchey dekhtey eyi platter ta, I hope Amar Paap na lagey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All yours my dear Piyali.... chotobelai niramisher din man lei bhaja bhuji gula korto jatey amra kheye ni... dear every time I am down... i look up to u for confidence....

      Delete
  3. Tumi bheche bheche amr favourite dish gulo upload kore khide bariye dile.garam bhat dal r bora ufff divine.😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. These fried stuffs - yes please Soma. Anytime once they are fried up and popped into the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make similar fritters with corn and chana dal, and these look so delicious. Crispy and yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really delicious and crispy vadas.... Great blog with yummy recipes....!!! keep in touch. Visit me http://remyasbaking.com/

    ReplyDelete