Monday 30 November 2015

MIXED DAL DAHI VADA




Weekly once I crave for a chaat, of late I have been tuned that way. My men are not chaat lovers, I do it for myself and my help. Her Filipino taste buds got adapted to Indian Cuisine so fast, I should get some credit for that. Back home, my mom loves them. Whenever we went out, we would hop into the eateries and have a platter of chaat or Dosa or Idli. Then, I may not have loved these so much but now I do. It is quite for sometime I did not prepare Dahi Vada at home, I have  2 bottles of homemade Date-Tamarind Chutney and Green Chutney following few friends' recipes, sev too, so why delay?

Usually we do the vada with urad dal. This time I did with a mix of urad, moong, masoor, chana, adding few spices. They tasted well with an addition of generous amount of yogurt and chutney. Let us do it.

INGREDIENTS :[for the vada]
Urad Dal : 1/2 medium cup
Masoor[red lentil] : 1/4 medium cup
Moong Dal : 2tbsp
Chana[Bengal Gram] : 1tbsp
Cumin Powder : 1/2tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/4tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/4tsp
Cumin Seed : 1/4tsp
Salt : As Required
Oil : 100ml[to fry]

INGREDIENTS :[final assembling]
Plain Yogurt : 200gm
Salt : 3pinches
Sugar : 1/2tsp
Chaat Masala : 1/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1/2tsp
Date-Tamarind Chutney : 1/2small cup
Green Chutney : 1/4small cup
Sev : 2tbsp
Chopped Coriander Leaves : 1tbsp

METHOD :
Wash and soak the dals in hot water for 1-2 hours. Drain the water and grind to a coarse paste in a blender.

Add cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and cumin seeds.

Heat oil in a wok. Simultaneously boil half a vessel of water and switch off. Fry the vadas in batches and drop in the water. Take out after 5 minutes. This gives them sponge like consistency.

Keep the vadas on tissue papers to get rid of the excess oil. Beat the yogurt adding salt and sugar.

In a plate, arrange the vadas. Pour the yogurt. Add the date-tamarind chutney and green chutney. Sprinkle chaat masala, red chilli powder and the sev on top. Add chopped coriander at last.

Serve chilled. Enjoy!!

















1 comment :

  1. Spicy Mixed Dal Vada in a yogurt sauce with chutneys makes a yummy chaat meal.

    ReplyDelete