Wednesday 11 November 2015

FIERY CHICKEN



With an ardent chicken lover at home, I am constantly in search of different chicken recipes. I explore through the internet to bring in variety to a meat dish. There is a basic problem with me though when it comes to cooking a new kind of dish. Say, all of a sudden in the evening I may select a Thai Curry to cook. I have very good quality boneless chicken, a piece of galangal, even a Thai sauce, but I do not have the lemon grass. Now what? 

Most of the time I do not plan my dishes ahead. It all depends on my mood and the availability of the ingredients in my kitchen. In such a scenario this Indian does a mix n match cooking, off course when she is not cooking an authentic Bengali dish. Now therein comes the problem of naming it because it is not an authentic one. It happened with this chicken curry too, it is similar to tikka masala but not authentic enough. So I named it fiery chicken going by its colour. My men and my little guests loved it.

For this curry, I prepared a paste with ripe tomatoes, Kashmiri chili powder, few spices and plain yogurt. Since I love colour in my dishes, I make a good use of Kashmiri Mirch in my cooking. The curry was thick, tangy and spicy. My Indian roots and taste buds does not allow me to go otherwise, even after repeated warnings from the senior at home. Let us proceed with the recipe.




INGREDIENTS :

Chicken : 1kg
Plain Yogurt : 150gm
Tomato : 4 medium or 2 big
Onion : 2 medium
Ginger Paste : 1tsp
Garlic Paste : 2tbsp
Coriander Powder : 1 tsp
Cumin Powder :  1/2 tsp
Fennel Powder : 1/2tsp
Red Chilli Powder : 1tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder : 11/2tsp
Garam Masala Powder : 1tsp
Salt : As required
Turmeric : 1tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1/4 tsp
Bayleaf : 1
Oil : 4tbsp


METHOD :

Wash the chicken pieces very well and marinate with 1/2tsp chilli powder, salt and turmeric and keep aside for 1-2 hrs.

Wash and cut the tomatoes, discard the seeds. Prepare a paste with tomato, yogurt, coriander powder, fennel powder, cumin powder and both the chilli powders blending all together.

Peel and wash the onions, cut small and prepare a paste.

Heat the oil in a wok. Temper with cumin seeds and bay leaf.

Add the onion paste and saute for 2 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.

Add the tomato-yogurt-spice paste. Stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the salt and turmeric. Add the marinated chicken. Stir well and cover.

Uncover and stir every 3-4 minutes. We will cook at low heat all through. This will take about 25 minutes.

Add the garam masala powder and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes and its done.

It goes very well with both rice and chapati. Get some dal, vegetables, salad on the side!







No comments :

Post a Comment