Friday 20 November 2015

DAHI POORI


WHILST IN KOLKATA, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER WANT DOI PHUCHKA; AT FIFTY, DAHI POORI CHAAT HAVE BECOME A CRAZE!

Yesterday was a  hot day, I had to be out for a pretty long time. I craved for some chilled food back home. It is for quite sometime I was planning to prepare Dahi Poori. Just back from the afternoon heat, I was tired, yet went ahead with it. I felt it will give me some respite from the heat. 

Those who stay in the tropical countries, they will echo my words. As I have told earlier, my food preferences have also undergone changes in the recent years. I have started to love more of fruits, chaats and different kind of veggies. Fresh Water Fish; I will always be in love with.

I heavily followed Master Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe while doing it. For the home made crispy kachori, miniature poori I called them; I went through few recipes earlier too. I was happy that I could make the crispy kachoris at home. Doing something from the scratch is very satisfying. Below is the recipe of Dahi Kachori with stepwise pictures.



INGREDIENTS :[for the kachori]

Semolina : 1small tea cup
Whole Wheat Flour : 2tsp
Salt : 1/4spoon
Baking Soda : A pinch or two
Oil : 1tsp + 50ml[to fry]
Water : As Required

INGREDIENTS :[for the filling]
Potato[boiled] : 2
Black Chana: 1/4 small tea cup
Plain Yogurt : 1cup
Green Coriander Chutney : 1/2tsp in each kachori
Dates Tamarind Chutney : 1/2tsp in each kachori
Roasted Cumin Powder : 1tsp
Roasted Coriander Powder : 1tsp
Chilli Powder : A pinch on top of each kachori
Chaat Masala : A pinch on top of each kachori
Sev : 1/4tsp for each [fried, thin gram flour noodles]
Sugar : 1tsp
Salt : As required
Coriander Leaves[chopped] : 2tbsp

METHOD :

Wash and soak the black chana in hot water for 3-4 hours.

Prepare a not too soft, neither too hard dough using the semolina, wheat flour, salt, baking powder, oil and water.

Roll into small puris as seen below. Better we roll out a big, round shape and use a small, round container lid to cut and shape!


Heat oil in a wok. Fry the puris till crisp. They look as this.


Let them cool. Make a hole in the middle of each of them.

Mash the boiled potatoes adding salt, cumin powder and coriander powder.

Beat the yogurt with the sugar. Take all the ingredients in separate bowls as below.

Drain the water from the black chana!




At first; fill in each of the poori / fried puffed bread with mashed potato, then the boiled Bengal Gram chana, green chutney, date chutney, yogurt, sev, red chilli powder, chaat masala, chopped coriander leaves. They look as what you see in the pictures.






1 comment :

  1. Done from scratch, this Dahi Poori are extremely soothing and lip smackingly delicious... the very famous Indian street snack

    ReplyDelete