Sunday 29 March 2015

CASHEW MUTTON


Mutton  Curry is a much loved dish in many homes. Remembering childhood, mutton curry was the Sunday special menu. If three Sundays in a month were meant for chicken, one was to indulge and enjoy over mutton. In a middle class home like ours, the mothers had budget limits. I so much wonder how skilfully they managed it. After a fulfilling breakfast with poori, halwa, dum aloo and jalebi, started my long wait for the lunch hour. At the study table, me and my brother's conversation revolved around how flavourful mutton curry is and come lets go to the kitchen and ask for one-one piece just to taste...it started with tasting and ended with a major burp of satisfaction at night after completing dinner with chapati and red, rich mutton curry.

Perhaps because of my love with food chemistry since then, my chemistry knowledge did not go beyond few symbols. I did not also understand why a train from here to there and there to here has to meet somewhere and make things complex. Why can't we sit beside a train window and enjoy the beauty outside which I loved most, and still do. It was because of Alzebra, I managed to pass my boards and earned a decent degree for myself. On my visits to Kolkata, I take a train ride to my parent's place at Barrackpore when I can afford a hired car; I do not want to or cannot identify myself with people who think taking a public transport is less prestigious. If I belong to a middle class family and grew up this way, I should not have any qualms in doing so now unless I am sick or old enough.

Too much of lecture and again I am offtrack. Coming back to mutton, this curry is a bit rich using cashew paste and cream. Red meat may not be a healthy food choice but you see having it once a month will not kill you either. So be guilt free and enjoy your food. This goes well with both chapati and rice. We had some Avial style mixed vegetable curry and raw mango chutney on the side.






INGREDIENTS :

Mutton : 1kg
Onion : 2[big]
Ginger Paste : 2 tsp
Garlic Paste : 2 tbsp
Green Chilli Paste : 2-3 tbsp
Cinnamon Powder : 1 tsp
Green Cardamom Powder : 1/2 tsp
Plain Yogurt : 1 small tea cup
Fresh Cream : 2 tbsp
Cashew Paste : 2-3 tbsp
Melon Seeds paste : 11/2 tbsp
Salt : As required
Sugar : 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon Stick : 2-3 one inch piece
Green Cardamom : 2-3
Clove : 2-3
Bayleaf : 2
Oil : 2 tbsp

METHOD : 

Wash the mutton thoroughly. Marinate with beaten yogurt, half of ginger-garlic paste, green chilli paste, salt and turmeric powder. Refrigerate overnight stored in an airtight container.

Take it out 2 hours before cooking. Peel, wash and slice the onions.

Heat oil in a wok. Temper with cinnamon sticks, green cardamoms, cloves and bayleaves.

Add the sliced onions and fry till golden brown.

Add the rest of the ginger- garlic paste and fry till it separates from the oil.

Add the marinated mutton along with the marinade. Stir well.

Cook covered in minimal fire for 45 minutes, stirring every 7-8 minutes.

Uncover, add salt, sugar. Stir well and cover again.

After 10 minutes uncover and add the cashew and melon seeds paste. Stir well and cover cook for another 10-15 minutes.

By now it should be done. Add the fresh cream and stir well. Switch off.

You may not need to add water as it will be released from the yogurt itself. If required a cup of warm water can be used after 45 minutes of cooking. This recipe is usually thick.

Enjoy with jeera rice or any type of bread or like us with rice & a mixed vegetable curry, raw mango sweet chutney.





No comments :

Post a Comment