Monday 2 February 2015

MINI IDLI N COCONUT CHUTNEY



Idli is a traditional breakfast in a South Indian household. It is a savoury cake popular throughout India and few of her neighbouring countries. Made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils and rice, they are extremely healthy.

Idlis were not made at our home. As memory goes whenever me and my mom went for shopping she would have a plate of it or dosa. Idli and Dosa being very popular in Kolkata, there is a South Indian restaurant at every corner. Honestly, I was not so fond of Idli or Dosa earlier. I developed a liking for them after my son was born. I was being warned by my doctor for having too much of fried stuffs. Hence, these healthier options. When I got my first microwave, I got a microwave proof idli maker free with it. Then started my tryst with home-made idlis. Though the microwave ones are not that soft like the gas oven ones.

Here in Singapore, there are very good South Indian restaurants. I venture there quite often. Besides, with so many South Indian colleagues, I get to taste them on a regular basis. One of my colleagues got these mini idlis one day and I just became fan of them instantly. So much so that I got a mini idly stand from an Indian super market. They are usually dug in Sambar or pepper fried, but I love having them with my favourite coconut chutney.

INGREDIENTS[for the idlis]
Idli Rice : 4 cups
Black Gram : 11/2 cup
Fenugreek Seeds : 2tsp
Cooked Rice : 2tsp
Salt : As required
Oil : To grease the mini idli moulds

INGREDIENTS[for the coconut chutney]
Shredded Coconut : 1 cup
Roasted Peanuts : 1/4 cup
Curry Leaves : 10
Mustard Seeds[black] : 1/2 tsp
Black Gram  Dal[skinless] : 1/4tsp
Bengal Gram Dal : 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chilli : 2
Green Chilli : 1
Oil : 1tsp
Salt : As required

METHOD :
Soak the rice and black gram separately in water for at least 6 hours.. Add the fenugreek seeds to the black gram.Drain the water and rice and grind coarsely along with the cooked rice.

Grind the black gram dal smoothly and mix with rice batter along with salt. Keep the batter in a warm place allowing it to ferment. It may take 8-10 hours.

Grease the specially designed mini idly plates with oil and fill with idli batter with help of a tablespoon. Steam them for about 10 minutes till they rise and become firm.

Soft white idlis are done.

Now the chutney. This is the way I love it, may not be authentic. Blend the shredded coconut and peanuts along with a green chilli and salt as required. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Temper with mustard seeds, skinless black gram dal and bengal gram dal, halved dry red chillies. Pour over the coconut chutney.

Enjoy a health loaded snacks!!

4 comments :

  1. I love idlis... this is a lovely idea!! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly Ds....thanks so much....me too like...

      Delete
  2. So tasty and quick to make..Lovely share chef :)

    ReplyDelete