Thursday 19 February 2015

BORI PABDAR JHOL .... A LIGHT CURRY WITH BUTTER FISH & SUN DRIED LENTIL DUMPLING



Oh fish...dear fish....my fresh water fish...my love...I miss you all so much!! Our island too is a fish loving nation but they eat sea fish mainly. Surrounded by sea, it is quite natural. In contrast, Bangladesh, the erstwhile East Bengal is in the lap of rivers, even the interiors of West Bengal has ponds & canals, so we have grown up eating a variety of fresh water fish. Once you visit a fish market in Kolkata, you will understand how much we are obsessed with fish. On Saturdays and Sundays, fish price gets skyrocketed, Bengali babus are not bothered. If the fish is fresh, it should be in my bag....all investment are done on food, this  community spends maximum on pleasing the tummy, lest everything else.

This fish curry I did make on my last visit to Kolkata. Took the picture then and posting now. But I cannot stop myself from sharing a story. The day before Shivratri, I went to the Indian market to buy flowers, holy basil and bael leaves. Crossing by the fish market, I suddenly saw fresh Pabda[pink bellied Butter fish] and Aar[long-whiskered catfish]....and I got stuck there in front of the stall....my expression was as if my son topped at the board examination. Had a long conversation with the stall owner.... I asked why they do not get it on a regular basis. I immediately took responsibility on behalf of the Bengali community here and told I would get them customers. She was skeptical if she would get to sell them or not. She gets them from Burma. The true Bong in me was so happy, back home called my mom and said, "Mani, I got fresh Pabda today." She started giving out the recipes. I told her that my mommy dear is  forgetting that I can cook too. Indian moms can never consider  their kids to be grown up.

So the fish you can see is Pabda [pink bellied Indian butter fish]. It has very less bones. A very light fish, we cook light curry with it using minimal spices. The dumplings you can see are called Boris. They are sun dried lentil dumplings made mainly of urad dal or red lentil. We use them in different curries. I doubt if they are found outside Bengal or not, so you may skip using it. 





INGREDIENTS :

Pabda Fish[ butter fish] : 4
Bori : 6
Ginger Paste : 1tsp
Green Chilli Paste : 1tsp
Kalojirey[nigella seeds/kalonji] : 2 pinches
Salt : As required
Turmeric : 1tsp
Coriander Leaves : 1 sprig
Mustard Oil : 3tbsp + 1tsp

METHOD :

At first, we have to clean the stomach of each of the fish. This fish does not have scales. So you are at an advantage. This is a very soft and delicate fish. So you need to handle it carefully just like a newly wed bride.You can clean the stomach using two fingers. Just insert your fingers from the sides of head and pull out the stomach dirt. Please do not cut the belly to clean. Also tear the two long whiskers from the head. Wash thoroughly. Drain excess water.

Add half tsp turmeric powder, salt and 1tsp oil to the fish and rub well. Heat oil in a wok till smoking point. Fry the fish  lightly in batches at medium to low heat. Be very careful to avoid breakage. Fry the boris till light brown and keep aside.

Temper the same oil with nigella seeds. Take a bowl and mix together ginger and chilli paste, salt and half tsp turmeric. Add the spice mix to the oil. Fry till the spices separate from the oil. Add 1 cup water. Let boil for 2-3 minutes. Add the fish pieces and boris. Boil for another 1 minute. Add pre-washed chopped coriander leaves. Switch off the gas burner.

Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot with piping hot steamed rice!!






2 comments :

  1. Soma, I couldnt get what Bori means.. Relating to a newly wed bride took me years back to 1999. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bori is kind of dried lentil balls... we usually get in West Bengal only... you can do without it...

      Delete