Saturday 15 November 2014

CHICKEN MOMO



This is just another variation of dumplings. You can stuff it with anything from vegetables to all kinds of meats. It is a type of dumpling native to Tibet and Nepal. Over the years, it has become popular in India, specially in the North Eastern regions. Its quite similar to the Japanese gyoza or Chinese baozi. It is extremely healthy and filling except that of the use of refined flour. It is generally served with a specially made chilli sauce or a clear soup. My momo tastes good but I cannot get the thin wrap ever, apologies! Unless, we are having it in good restaurants, I prefer them homemade!

My men being too much in love with roti-parantha and meat, I hardly do it though it is  such a hassle free recipe. My love for momo dates back to the 90's, when I was in college. Momo was a new concept in Kolkata then. A very dear friend who just stepped into Kolkata from Nagaland said, "Soma .... a momo joint has opened up at Elgin Road, try....you definitely would like it". Soma, being a born foodie, did not take much time to go on the mission. I clearly remember I, my friend, her elder sister, two other MALE friends had a nice stroll at the Kolkata Zoo and then ventured into the small cosy eatery to taste those white dumplings filled with meat, accompanied by a simple bowl of soup that tasted heavenly. Later I took my mother a number of times there as she loved them. The two girls were Pampa & Shampa di! I do not remember the two boys, they were more friendlier to Pampa!

Pampa heads an NGO at Bangalore today; while preparing those momos how I wished to sit with her and have them together over series of unending chitchats. May be someday, sooner or later. Momos can be had fried too but I prefer the steamed ones. It goes with a simple veg soup & a spicy sauce; I kept a salad on the side.

About the easier method of boiling the dumpling instead of steaming is what some islanders do; told Priyam of fork_n_fable, an Instagram coworker!




INGREDIENTS :

Refined Flour : 2 cups
Minced Chicken : 250 gm
Minced Garlic : 1tbsp
Minced Ginger : 1 tsp
Chopped Spring Onion : 1 tbsp
Soya Sauce : 2 tbsp
Salt : As per requirement
Black Pepper Powder : 1tsp

METHOD :

Wash the minced chicken. Add the minced garlic n ginger, chopped spring onion, coriander, salt, soya sauce and black pepper powder to it. Mix well all together and keep aside.

Take the flour in a big bowl. Add little salt and the oil. Mix well. Now add water little by little and keep on rubbing with your palm until it turns into a soft dough.




With help of rolling pin and a base roll out small round shaped puris. They have to be thin but I cannot get that. Put one spoon full of minced chicken filling in the middle. Fold & close the ends. Then fold again & close the ends!




Put a deep bottom vessel half filled with water on the oven. Cover and let the water come to boil. 



Once the water comes to boil, add the dumplings and cover. Let steam for 10 to 15 minutes. Keep adding cold water 2-3 times in between as you see the dumplings coming up! I have learnt the natives of the island do it; an Instagram food enthusiast told me so, she is PRIYAM SAHARIA OF fork_n_fable!






Please note, they taste best when done with minced pork. The fat released from the pork enhances its taste. But I do not allow pork & beef inside my home, a prejudice!





No comments :

Post a Comment