Wednesday 12 November 2014

CARAMEL CUSTARD



Perhaps in almost every country of the world, desserts are a natural choice after  meals; particularly  post dinner. Though for health reasons we do not follow this'sweet rule' everyday.On weekends its  just fine to give yourself and the family a sweet treat, at home or outside. Every country has its own set and choice of desserts which again depends upon the individual taste buds. Again, with globalisation and free access to the internet; a particular cuisine is no more limited to its country of origin. We all are in a mood of global acceptance and in the mode of constantly experimenting with recipes.
     
My pick today is Caramel Custard, a dessert with a layer of soft caramel on top. This dessert is popular throughout the world. It may have originated in France, Spain but got a wide acceptability, may be because of its light  sweet taste, texture and easy making steps with very few ingredients.
    
Until now, I only talked about my mother and grand mother when it came to cooking. I will be lying if I don't acknowledge my mother-in-law in this regard. She had been a fairly good cook too with access to very limited dishes, just for health reasons & lethargy, lost the interest early in life. I do not think she ever loved cooking! She being very strict, I learnt to do all household chores within few years of marriage and in a way, I thank her for that. Custard has been very popular in their humble household to go with seasonal fruits. I have learnt preparing Caramel Custard from her and follow her recipe more or less which may differ from the authentic one. Our family recipe for Caramel Custard calls for very few ingredients!! The only difference is that I do it in my convection mode microwave oven and their home did it in a pressure cooker. But, today's recipe is done on the stovetop!




INGREDIENTS :

Full Cream Milk : 350 ml [I used evaporated creamer, a can of 385ml]
Eggs : 2
Sugar : 3 tbsp + 3 tbsp
Green Cardamom Powder : 1/4 tsp [Alternatively 1 tsp vanilla essence] [I used both]
Water : 2 tbsp


PROCEDURE :

We are using these few things!


I used evaporated creamer this time, I did not need to boil the milk to thicken. Taking in a bowl;I added 3 tbsp sugar to it!


In another bowl, break the eggs & beat together the yolk and the whites.

Add the bitten eggs to the evaporated creamer. Mix very well for at least 4 to 5 minutes. 

Add the green cardamom powder and the vanilla essence if you are using both like me.





Now to make the caramel. In a saucepan,I took 3 tbsp sugar and add 2-3 tbsp water. I had put it on the gas at low heat. 

When it melted and turned golden brown, I switched off the gas stove immediately. 

Remember, too much browning may turn it bitter. 

I had poured the liquid into the mould we are going to use. Over it,I poured the milk-egg mixture through a strainer!






I cooked the caramel custard on stove top this time! I had placed a flat wok on top of the gas burner and on it a wired stand! I added about two coffee mugs of water to the wok!

As it came to the boil, I had placed the bowl atop the wired stand!



I had covered the bowl and also the wok with a lid!



I had cooked it at minimal to slow heat for 45 - 50 minutes!

 Please insert a knife in the middle after 30 minutes to check. If it comes out clean, its done.


Let it cool. Then we need to refrigerate it for 2-3 hours!



I took it out on the table, inserted a knife carefully to set loose the sides. Then I placed a serving dish on it and overturned cautiously!



It has to be had chilled always to enjoy the most!







No comments :

Post a Comment